Name - The name comes from two Anglo-saxon words 'derne' meaning hidden and 'wic' a dwelling. It has transposed through Dernewic, Dernwic and Darnwick to the present spelling. First recorded in 1124.
Graveyard Record - there is no graveyard in Darnick.
Places of Interest
- Towers - two still standing, one still occupied. Darnick Tower first built about 1425 by the Heiton family who had come over from France. This tower has in its grounds the remains of Fisher's Tower. Interestingly, the wife of Andrew Heiton, whose initials are on Darnick Tower, was Katherine Fisher. Darnick Tower is now a private house. Nothing now remains of the third tower.
- Waverley Castle Hotel - not technically in Darnick ( wrong side of Waverley Road), but close enough! Built in 1869, and extended in 1876, it is one of the very first mass concrete buildings in Scotland. Formerly a Hydropathic, with the healing waters coming from a well in the grounds of St Helen's. St Helen's, which was built in 1806, is now a private house in the former grounds of the hotel. The hotel is now owned by a major coach tour operator.
- Smith Memorial Hall - the village hall for Darnick. Built in 1869, the hall has built into the front, the War Memorial Plaques for those who died in the two World Wars. Dedicated to the memory of John Smith in 1896. Being renovated in 2002.
- Darnick Community Woodland Walk - a newly opened walk around a newly planted woodland. Perfect for dogwalkers.
- Southern Upland Way - this passes along the riverbank behind Waverley Castle Hotel.
Famous People Associated
- Andrew Currie, a sculptor who carried out his work in a workshop in the grounds of Darnick Tower from about 1859 onwards. Amongst his work are: Mungo Park statue in Selkirk; The Ettrick Shepherd at St Mary's Loch, the Bruce Monument at Stirling; figures on the Scott Monument in Princes' Street Edinburgh. He died in 1891 and is buried in Weirhill Cemetery, Melrose.
- The Smith family - This family were builders and masons based in Darnick and working from the early 1800's through until the 1850's. Most of the major houses built in the area during this period were worked on by one of the family. A list of these reads like an index of the major works of the time: Melrose Parish Church, Dryburgh Abbey House, Chiefswood, Abbotsford (extension), Gattonside House, Yetholm Parish Church, St Boswells Schoolhouse, Eckford Church etc.
In addition to house and churches, they also built bridges amongst which are: North Bridge Hawick, Hermitage Water Bridge, Faulshope Bridge at Bowhill.
The Wallace Statue at Dryburgh was also the work of the family.
Further Reading - ' Darnick an Historic Walk' by Jack Sugden (pub 1997)
Articles about Darnick's History